Dear FAPAC members,
As we enter the fifth week of the partial government shutdown, I wanted to express a few words of solidarity for our federal community who are affected by the ongoing challenges of this shutdown. Even for those of us who have dedicated long years of service, this is uncharted territory, and we are saddened by the politics that have led to so much hurt and suffering across the nation.
We understand that many of you may be furloughed or working without pay, and we stand by ready to offer assistance to help you navigate these difficult times. As a first step, we would like to share some resources that we hope will be useful:
- Assistance filing for unemployment insurance benefits for DMV residents:
- District of Columbia - Furloughed employees can visit this webpage or call the DC Department of Employment Services (DOES) at 202-478-5937. The hotline is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- Virginia - Furloughed employees can visit this webpage or call the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) at 1-866-832-2363. The hotline is open Monday through Friday, 8:15 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Maryland - Furloughed employees can visit this webpage or call the Maryland Division of Unemployment Insurance at 410-853-1700. The hotline for furloughed employees is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 2:00 p.m. Furloughed contractors can visit this webpage or call 1-877-293-4125. This hotline is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Federal Employee Education & Assistance Fund: http://feea.org/shutdown/
In times of need, our family and friends are our greatest assets. If you are encountering challenges during this time, please do not hesitate to reach out and lean on your FAPAC family. If you are impacted by the shutdown, please be assured that your contributions are valued, and let us all look forward to the day when the federal government is fully re-opened, and we can celebrate as one FAPAC family.
In the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. whose legacy we observe today as the National Day of Service: "We must accept finite disappointment but never lose infinite hope." Watch Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s Annual Tribute "The Other America" today at 4 PM EST.
We offer our ongoing hopes and wishes that a solution will be reached soon so that federal employees and their families can return to the noble mission of public service that they have dedicated themselves to conducting with unwavering patriotism - now and always.
Olivia F. Adrian, President
Federal Asian Pacific American Council (FAPAC)