The holiday season always evokes a fascinating sense of wonder for adults and children alike. While these weeks are often encapsulated by the excitement of twinkling lights, festive food, and spirited gift-giving, my favorite part of the season is the opportunity to express gratitude for the community that we've built together in the Federal Asian Pacific American Council (FAPAC).
As I look back over the past year, I am so proud of everything we've accomplished together. Here are just a few notable successes of 2019:
- FAPAC supported national efforts that promote and celebrate diversity including the White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (WHIAAPI), the National Diversity Coalition (NDC), APIA Vote, the National Coalition for Equity in Public Service (NCEPS), Civic Leadership USA, among many other partners!
- FAPAC hosted the 6th cohort of their Career Development Mentoring Program (CDP). The CDP is a tuition-free program that offers individual mentoring, professional development, and career counseling for high-performing federal employees. Applications for the 2020 CDP are due this Friday, Dec 27!
- FAPAC selected the 2019 Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month and National Leadership Training Program theme of “Unite Our Mission by Engaging Each Other.” The 2019 theme focused on being mission-minded and increasing engagement of the AAPI community.
- FAPAC held the 34th National Leadership Training Program (NLTP) at the Von Braun Center in Huntsville, Alabama on May 13-16, 2019. The NLTP offered high-quality training, networking opportunities, and practical strategies for personal and professional development for over 300 attendees from around the world. FAPAC also presented the Civilian, Uniformed Services, and Public Service Scholarship Awards to
- The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) approved FAPAC as a participating charity for the 2019 Combined Federal Campaign (CFC). The CFC runs from September 12, 2019 through January 12, 2020. Search CFC #73301 to donate to FAPAC!
- Over 200 attendees attended the annual Summer Picnic in August for a great time of networking and recognition of FAPAC members.
- FAPAC signed the lease for a physical office space at 12801 Fair Lakes Pkwy, Fairfax, VA in June. The office enables FAPAC to better organize and conduct operations to support its mission and activities.
- We saw overwhelming success at FAPAC’s Student Career Fairs with over 450 students at Montgomery College in Rockville, MD and over 1,000 participants at Cal Poly Pomona in Southern California. Attendees met with agency recruiters and gained critical knowledge of the federal hiring process.
- In November, FAPAC opened registration for the 35th National Leadership Training Program (NLTP) on May 11-14, 2020 at the National Conference Center in Leesburg, VA. FAPAC will celebrate this significant anniversary with the 2020 AAPI Month theme of "Unite Our Nation by Empowering Equality," host dynamic speakers, recognize dedicated public servants, and showcase the best of the AAPI community. Learn more at fapac.org/NLTP!
I am very grateful to work with dedicated, talented, and passionate volunteers to advance the mission of FAPAC and serve the AAPI community. Together, we make FAPAC a robust organization that develops and recognizes government leaders. I look forward to all the ways we will continue this work in 2020 and invite you to join us!
I wish you a warm holiday season with lots of love, laughter, and joy. May you treasure the good moments of the past and stay hopeful for the blessings to come in the New Year.
Olivia Adrian, FAPAC President