Creating a more diverse and inclusive, high performing workforce
***Applications for the 2021 CDP are now closed***
The Federal Asian Pacific American Council (FAPAC) Career Development Mentoring Program (CDP) for High Performers is an effort in support of the Federal government’s vision to achieve and maintain a diverse, inclusive, high performing workforce. It seeks to provide members and participants with a career development experience that opens up different pathways of learning and growth within their organizations while encouraging participants to practice their leadership responsibilities and to address their interest for career development through FAPAC.
In October 2009, President Obama signed Executive Order (EO) 13515 to reestablish the White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (WHIAAPI). Section 3(d)(ii) of the EO mandates that federal agencies create plans to “identify ways to foster the recruitment, career development, and advancement of AAPIs in the Federal government.” In August 2011, Executive Order 13583 established a coordinated government-wide initiative to promote diversity and inclusion in the federal workforce.
Based on recent statistics from the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders (AAPIs) continue to be underrepresented in both senior grade levels and supervisory positions in the Federal government. The purpose of the FAPAC CDP program is to be an excellent resource for AAPI employees to empower themselves through career development initiatives and to expand their career opportunities through preparation and networking. This program can be part of the employee’s career development initiative to demonstrate their career planning in pursuit of leadership development and self- improvement.
For federal agencies, the CDP will:
- support Executive Order 13583 of a diversity and inclusion workforce by expanding career development opportunities for employees in the Federal government;
- demonstrate leadership commitment to promote partnerships and community engagements;
- provide valuable and practical career development experience for the AAPI population
- assist AANHPIs in overcoming significant barriers to attain supervisory and leadership positions in competitive employment environments;
- increase awareness of the talents and contributions of AANHPIs and their potential to be fully prepared for career challenges and advancements; and
- provide a partnership opportunity with FAPAC as an additional resource to employees’ career development.
For participants, the CDP will:
- serve as an additional resource for self-improvement and professional development;
- offer excellent opportunities to strengthen personal goals and career planning;
- provide a forum to benefit the lives of high performers in government; and most important,
- enrich individual readiness for hiring and career advancement opportunities.